To encourage scholarship in academic studies of Jainism to be of international standards, ISJS proposes to institute annual award for the best Research Paper/Article published.
- The award will be given for the Research Paper/Article on Jain philosophy/culture/history/ ethics and their applications in today’s world.
- The prize/award money is INR 25,000.00 or equivalent to US$.
- The award will carry a citation. The award and awardees’ names will be published widely.
- The awards will be presented online with a befitting and proper ceremony of physically honouring the recipient by a nominee of ISJS, at their locations.
RULES AND SELECTION PROCESS
- The subject of the Research Paper/Article should be related to Jainism and its applications to subjects like lifestyle, administration, interfaith dialogue, science and technology, medicine, environment, culture, pressing issues like epidemics, bioethics, judiciary, education, etc.
- The language of the publications should be English.
- In the first year, Research Papers/Articles published from 01.01.2020 to 31.12.2022 will be eligible. Thereafter the publications will be considered for the calendar year only.
- The nominations for award can be made by the institutions or the authors themselves. However, members of the selection committee cannot make their own nominations directly or indirectly for the award.
- The Selection Committee will consist of four to seven members of “high repute and integrity globally”. Each member will be nominated for a term of three years which can also be extended further for two more terms.
- A Research Paper/Article with exceptional scholarship must either (a) make a new and original contribution to the knowledge of Jain traditions or (b) be a clear and accessible Paper/Article on or overview of Jain traditions to promote knowledge of Jain thought and practice to students and to the general public.
- Though it is not a requirement, preference will be shown to Research Papers/Articles which apply Jain principles to contemporary issues (ecological issues, ethical behavior toward both human and non-human life, inter-religious conflict, conflicts between religion and science, gender issues, and so on).
- For the first awards, the date for submission of nomination will be August 31, 2023.
- Selection announced by October 31, 2023.
Applicant needs to submit Research Paper/Article in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to see the announcement