4th BHAGWAN MAHAVIRA FELLOWSHIP TO STUDY PRAKRIT IN INDIA
for 9 months from September 1st, 2023– May 31st, 2024.
To promote and build a cadre of serious Jain scholars well versed in Jain Āgamic language Prākṛta, its education and research in North America, Europe and India. This is the fourth such program being offered.
This program is highly subsidized by ISJS and MVI and JAFNA to attract the finest talents. The Prākṛta program will be held in Pune, India.
Nine (09) months, starting from September 1, 2023.
Doctorate / Poste-graduate / Graduate in Philosophy / History / Indology / Languages / Linguistics / Religious Studies, from North America, Europe, and India, are eligible for this course.
The applicants with knowledge of Jain studies, Hindi, Sanskrit and Prakrit may be given preference. Ability to read and write Devanagari script is desirable.
MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION
English, with the help of Roman transliteration & English equivalent of Sanskrit and Hindi terms.
TOTAL NO. OF SEATS
MODE OF SELECTION
Academic Qualification and Interview by a panel of expert academicians.
A monthly stipend will be provided to the selected participants during the entire course to meet the cost of boarding, lodging, study material and local travel inside India, related to this program.
Any other expenses are to be borne by the participants.
EXAMINATION & PERIODICAL TESTS
Written examination and viva-voce will be held at the completion of the course. During the course, periodical tests in form of written and oral will be held at regular intervals.
- The scholars, interested to join this 4th Bhagwan Mahavira Prakrit Fellowship, are invited to send their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The following documents are required with the application:
- Two recommendation letters (to be sent directly to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org) by the recommending faculty members.
- Academic Qualifications and relevant experiences.
- Background in Jainism, Buddhism and in Hindi, Sanskrit, Prakrit
- Your future research plans.
OUTLINE OF THE TEACHING CONTENT
- Introductory lectures (basics of Prakrit language)
- Prakrit grammar based on Siddha-hema-shabdanushasan by Acharya Hemachadra (8th Chapter)
- Translation and grammatical analysis of selected texts of different dialects of
- Practice of spoken Prakrit and passage writing
- Study of Manuscripts, Epigraphs, convert them to Devanagari and Translate them into English.