India is considered the land of a number of language families, and Indo-Aryan is one of them. The linguists have subdivided the Indo-Aryan Languages into three categories: Old, Middle and New Indo-Aryan languages. The Middle Indo-Aryan group is characterized by languages such as Prakrit, Pali and Apabhramsha. Dialects of Prakrit were used to produce literature, inscriptions and plays. The study of this literature, inscriptions and plays are very important to know ancient Indian history and culture. Keeping this fact in mind, International School for Jain Studies (ISJS) organizes an extensive offline nine-month Prakrit study program and a third program is going on. Now, on request of some scholars from India and abroad, ISJS offers a three-month online course on “Fundamentals of Prakrit Language”.
06:00 AM to 07:15 AM (PST)/
09:00 AM to 10:15 AM (EST)
This three-month online program is designed for all interested to learn this classical language. Acquaintance with Devnagari is required. Working knowledge of Sanskrit will be beneficial.
- Lecture Schedule: 2 days a week (Fridays & Saturdays)
- No. of Lectures daily: One lecture (60 minutes followed by 15 minutes of discussion)
- Medium of Instruction: English
- Weekly Assignments for practice
- Minimum 75% attendance is required to get the certificate of completion.
LAST DATE OF APPLICATION: FEBRUARY 26, 2023